Saturday, May 6, 2017

Cyberjaya Food Review : Al-Mukalla


There are 3 main Middle Eastern restaurants recommended by people in NeoCyber. They are Hammurabi, Sanaa and Al-Mukalla. Today I paid a vist to Al-Mukalla. This restaurants was a bit hard to find as it is located right at the end of the row of shops. It occupies the corner unit but that particular corner is quite quiet.


Despite arriving at 930PM, there were just a handful of people but the crowd started to build up after 10PM. 

Al-Mukalla is a Yemeni restaurant. It derives its name from the port town of Al-Mukalla in Yemen. Initially I wanted to order some sort of fish dish but decided against it and chose their signature Lamb Bindy. They told me the roasted lamb was sold out already and offerred steam lamb instead. For drinks, I ordered black current drink.

The lamb dish was serve with biryani rice. The lamb turned out to be pretty well seasoned and tenderized. The rice was not too bad but I wished the rice was more flavorful. The best biryani rice I've tasted was from Restaurant Half Moon in De Centrum City Kajang where the biryani rice is cooked with lamb stock.

The place is air conditioned inside but they is a smoking seating area outside. Service was good, the waiter was very helpful and willing to explain all their dishes patiently to me. After eating I had to loosen my belt by 1 notch as the portion size was huge.



The bill came out a bit expensive (RM37) for 1 person but they gave a 30% discount which helped reduced the bill to a more reasonable amount (RM 25.90)